Sunday, February 23, 2014

Nature

           Technology has clearly taken over our lives. I realized this when I felt obligated to spend a few measly moments outside restricted from it all. I sat down on the forest green swing set that sits above my porch, in my front yard. I suddenly felt aggravated and my fingertips tingled with irritation; my mind began to provoke my arms to reach forward and fall into the temptation of a technological device. Although it mentally destroyed me, I relinquished this sense of weakness when I felt a slight breeze blow across my face, allowing my hair to slightly flow in the wind. I began to notice the beautiful sunny day I had access to. Two ginormous trees hovered over my grandmother’s carefully planted ivory roses. Across the yard I heard the gentle chirps of a family of birds conversing. A fluffy –tailed squirrel scurried across my front steps, quickly trying to scavenge remains of leaves and nuts left behind in the mud. I was interrupted by the pitter patter of children’s feet running across my neighbor’s patio. Their adorable laughter filled the air with a sense of harmony and innocence. While sitting on comfortable floral print swing pillows, I recognized the lingering scent of freshly cut grass. I relived a moment of freshness and tranquility.
             Thoughts began to rush around in my mind almost like bustling shoppers on black Friday waiting to acquire the last available sales found in a mall. Within my first thought, I caught a glimpse of my future. Nonetheless, I became grotesquely terrified and rapidly changed the subject. Random ideas floated around like: What will I eat for dinner? Where will I travel to next? How am I even speaking to myself in my own head?! Why don’t I do this more often? At that very moment, I understood the logic behind Mrs. Kirkman’s assignment. The beauty and simplicity that surrounds us is constantly voided because of the sudden advancements in technology. It was deeply necessary to step back from the constant chaos and just submerge myself into magnificence life provides kindly offers us. Thank you, Mrs. Kirkman!

No comments:

Post a Comment